Thursday, February 26, 2009

It isn't just giving up, it's letting go

I am so glad that Phillip has challenged us to recognize Lent with him and the NSM staff. The forty days of fasting, prayer, and giving up of self are a difficult, but important way of remembering Jesus' struggle against temptation in the desert.

We are tempted so much in our daily life that we don't even feel the pain, because we have lost our conviction and ability to say "no", leaving no struggle at all, but atleast for me, and unpleasing way of life. I have tried this month already to give up distractions and stumbling blocks with my Biblestudy group, but failed miserably.
I should know how as a Christ follower to give up my idols before the Lord, but if I've failed once, I've failed a million times. I could just beat my head against the wall continuously and feel better than I do when I try to overcome my desires. I realize the reason I fail is because I have the wrong intentions, and I haven't asked God for help. I cannot do it on my own and am foolish to try.

Though private in how I worship during these forty days, I think I would like to publicly express (like AJ and Phillip) what I am giving up. Food has to be the greatest burden I bear and the hardest thing to limit. While the body needs food to survive, it can at the same time destroy you. I am constantly reminded that my body is the temple of the Lord and through Jesus living in me I need to respect it just as I would the building of the church. So these forty days, though I've already messed up today, tomorrow I surrender sweets (desserts, candy, snacks)and generally unhealthy food (fries, pizza). Accountability is crucial in this process so I encourage many to join this fast so we can relate our struggles without giving in. I feel so much better, look so much healthier, and function more properly when I respect the life God has given me, and I now, for the 4th time this year, commit to try, this time without fail, to honor God by setting aside my desires for Him.


http://www.tenthavenuenorth.com/media/music "Let it Go" (read these lyrics)

No comments:

Post a Comment