Saturday, November 27, 2010

With Love and Confection...

Well it is true what they say- time flies. I know this because I have my first Christmas party on Monday. Monday! Hmm..this means I am just starting my baking for the season. For this I am very excited though, because I haven't cooked in awhile. For me, it is so relaxing to spend a Saturday afternoon, listening to oldies and trying out new recipes.

Today, I listened to my Pandora radio station, tuned into the Platters. I just LOVE listening to music from the 40's, 50's and mid-60's. The songs were so sweet, and the singers could actually sing!

Anyways, today I tried my hand at confections. You see, it has been awhile since I have attempted confections, and I consider this the first time I have been successful.

I can cook well and bake well, but when it came to making candy apples, they never got hard; The one time I made fudge, I affectionately dubbed it my "liquid fudge".  I used to make my dad peanut brittle all the time, which that did come out good, but it didn't lessen my dislike for the candy thermometer.

I suppose I always got scared and pulled the pot off the range too soon, worried whatever it was would burn. Instead, my sugary confection would never harden.

But no matter now! Because today, I successfully made Buckeyes, Butter mints, Pralined Pecans, and Red Velvet Brownies :)



I will post the red velvet brownies later, after I ice them.



Peanut Butter Balls (Buckeyes)



Peanut Butter Balls

2 cups (500 grams) creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 - 2 1/2 cups (230 - 290 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar

Chocolate Coating
9 ounces (255 grams) semi sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons (25 grams) shortening

Directions: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the peanut butter, unsalted butter, and salt in a microwaveable bowl, and heat in the microwave for about one minute or until just soft (check and stir the ingredients every 20 seconds). 


Stir in the vanilla extract and confectioners sugar and mix until it has the consistency of a dough (add more sugar if necessary).


Roll the dough into 1 inch (2.5 cm) round balls. Place on the cookie sheet and refrigerate for about one hour, or until firm.

Melt the chocolate and shortening in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Dip the balls, one at a time, in the melted chocolate, making sure the entire ball is coated with chocolate. Then, with two spoons or a dipping fork, remove the peanut butter ball from the melted chocolate, allowing any excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. 

Place the chocolate covered balls back on the baking sheet. When all the balls have been dipped in the chocolate, place in the refrigerator until the chocolate has set. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks. 

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/candy/PeanutButterBalls.html#ixzz16XenI6J2
Praline Pecans
For a sweet treat, try these Praline Pecans. Be sure to use a heavy saucepan, and work quickly when spooning the pecan mixture onto the wax paper.
Prep: 5 min., Cook: 15 min., Stand: 20 min.
This recipe goes with Praline-Pecan Cakes
Yield: Makes about 8 cups

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2  cups  granulated sugar
  • 3/4  cup  firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2  cup  butter
  • 1/2  cup  milk
  • 2  tablespoons  corn syrup
  • 5  cups  toasted pecan halves

Preparation

Stir together first 5 ingredients in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.

Boil, stirring constantly, 7 to 8 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 234°.
Remove from heat, and vigorously stir in pecans. Spoon pecan mixture onto wax paper, spreading in an even layer. Let stand 20 minutes or until firm. Break praline-coated pecans apart into pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week. Freeze in an airtight container or zip-top plastic freezer bag up to 1 month.

Southern Living, DECEMBER 2005
Butter Mints, by Aunt Dixie 
 1/2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
2 lbs. 10x powdered sugar-sifted
3/4 tsp butter flavoring
8 oz.butter
Combine all ingredients in a mixer, with the hook attachment, until a soft dough forms

Adding color is optional (I added pink to mine for the rosettes I made

Knead dough until smooth. roll and cut, or press into molds. I used rose molds
Let dry for atleast 6-8 hours. Store in airtight container

No comments:

Post a Comment