Thursday, January 22, 2009

Prayer

Prayer:

I’ve been reading in a book about the habits of prayer, and what prayer means to God. As is obvious, God doesn’t need us to tell him our wants, desires, and needs, for He already knows. But the habit of prayer is twofold- You see God wants us to come to Him with our trials. Though He knows, by us coming to Him we are showing submission and repentance. We are breaking down our barrier of pride before Him and saying” God, I really need you. I cannot do this on my own, here is my dilemma”. I have never been the type that wouldn’t go to God for fear of not being good enough. No, not because I am good enough, because I am not. But because prayer had always been my most secure way of feeling God is here with me. When I have done something wrong, when I am hurting, it comforts me so to know that He is always there, waiting like a Father to hear my complaints. I am not ashamed to tell God how I feel. Sometimes I am angry, and He is the only one that will not judge me for my actions; sometimes, I am lonely, and He is the only one there to confide in; and yet, at times, and the times He loves most, when I am happy. I am thankful and I pour my gratitude out to Him, for He has blessed me so abundantly to an extent I do not deserve. But from this devotional, here are the advantages twofold- it secures to us blessing, and it prepare us to receive them. I have neglected to understand that there are multiple facets to prayer- Adoration, Confession, Supplication, Intercession, and Thanksgiving. If you are lacking the definition for each of these terms as I am, explore them with me:
Adoration-an expression of the sense of the infinite majesty and glory of God
Confession- a humble acknowledgement of our sins and unworthiness
Supplication- a pleading of blessings upon ourselves
Intercession- a prayer for others, asking God on behalf of our brethren
Thanksgiving- an expression of gratitude to our God for His goodness and mercy
Thinking over these and understanding the importance of prayer has helped me immensely over the past couple of weeks to re-enter my relationship with Him as I have slipped into monotony in my walk. I am still not all there yet. I’ve slipped more into a 3 times a week with God rather than a daily competence with Him. If you don’t already, I encourage you to join me at Prayer on Wednesday mornings. Thought it is early at 6am I look forward to it every week and it always makes my day go smoother. Of course, you don’t have to wait til 1 hour every Wednesday to pray, but there’s just something about gathering with fellow believers to make your requests known unto God. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment