Sunday, August 15, 2010

Picture-Perfect Picnics

Summer days are coming to a close. Muggy afternoons, long days wherethe sun doesn't set til 8, afternoon thunderstorms that leave the sky darker than dusk; they all remind me that summer is ending and Fall is near. A comforting thought though as I think about chai tea, pumkins and squash, long-sleeved shirts and jazzy music.


I decided to celebrate the end of summer with all of the new friends I have acquired during my first year in college, and some old. Of course not everyone I invited could attend, but about 12 wonderful people showed up for some food and fun. We planted ourselves at Riverfront Park under the picnic tables for a light lunch- some summer fruits, veggies, and baked goods (of course).

Ashamedly it wasn't the best baking I've done, but was a simple selection of some new recipes I wanted to try.
It gets boring baking the same thing all the time. I had an abundance of lemon cream left over from my sister's Lemon Cream Cake I baked for her birthday, so I decided to put it to good use.

I made these simple vanilla cupcakes from Joy the Baker, and infused them with my special lemon cream, and ta-da! Lemon Cream Cupcakes were born. I dyed the vanilla frosting yellow and piped it prettily atop the cakes.

I also made chocolate chip cookies and cranberry oatmeal chocolate chip cookies;

and last but not least, a spice cake, also courtesy Joy the Baker. I do love her blog. There are so many wonderful recipes, none of which have failed me. Except for this spice cake, but I blame myself. As I blended the ingredients hurriedly, as it was already 11 at night, I realized I had forgotten the sugar; yeah, there's a reason the batter taste salty. So I put the batter back in the bowl and whisked in the cup of sugar. In doing so, the cake flopped- or sank in, rather. So I did what all good bakers do and ate the flopped cake- the whole thing. I made a second one, which turned out perfect!

I packed everything together (I'll spare you the boring details) and high-tailed myself up to Riverfront.
We played some friendly games of frisbee and bocci ball and took alot of photos, courtesy my talented friend Suzannah.

Here are some of the pics she took: Here
And some I took: Here



All in all this so long to summer was hot and tiring, but a memory to be had of friends and fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment