Monday, April 5, 2010

Feta Spread

Here is another Mediterranean style recipe, straight from April's issue of Southern Living Magazine.
I will warn you that it is a bitey dip, and has a kick of spice to it as well, so be prepared!

But to my delight, I also found that it tastes similiar to the oil & spice dip they serve at Carrabba's with their bread, just thicker (because of the cheese).

I ate mine with Triscuits, which offered a nice salty rough counterpart to the smooth spice of the dip. I also think that WheatThins or pita chips would be a nice pairing as well.
 Pulse 8oz crumbled feta cheese, 2 tbsp olive oil (I used a little more) 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp finely chopped pepperoncini peppers, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano, 1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper, and 1/8 tsp black pepper (I omitted this, it's spicy enough!) in a food processor 6 to 8 times or until combined, stopping to scrape side.
Cover and chill 2 hours before serving. Store in fridge up to 3 days, makes 1 cup.

I must say, I did NOT chill it for 2 hrs before I ate it, I wanted it for lunch! And it tasted just fine, in fact, it was easier to spread. Like I said, I ate it with Triscuits but I am sure pita chips would be grat.
I also spread it on a whole wheat wrap and tossed some spinach, cranberries and nits on top and rolled it up for a saladd wrap, delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment