Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pretty Little Things

Okay, another homemade recipe! Similiar to the last, I mixed the cake with the icing to form firm squares. I would have preferred to prepare the cakes like traditional petit fours, but the cake started to crumble on me, so I used the same method as I did for the German Chocolate cake squares. I just feel like mixing cake and icing is an informal or unprofessional way to do it, but no matter. I  made these little Spring-y cakes for my class party yesterday!

Sarah's Strawberry Petit Fours 


1. Prepare a strawberry box cake mix as according to box.

2. Prepare Cream Cheese Icing (as listed below)

3. After cake cools, crumble into a large bowl and stir in the icing.

4. Mold the mix into small 1-inch squares.  Refrigerate (about 2 hrs.)




5. After the cakes cool, take out and drizzle with white chocolate. (melt according to pkg, about 45 seconds.)
Drizzle with a fork or spoon in a zigzag motion, creating a pattern.

6. Next, take the pink frosting (as below) and spoon into an icing bag. Using a flat tip, use small, sharp, sweeping motions to create a small flower on top of the hardened white chocolate. 

7. Refrigerate one more hour. 



Cream Cheese Frosting

 8oz. cream cheese
3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 butter (1 stick)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. In a mixer, beat butter and cream cheese (room temp). Add 1 tsp. of vanilla. 

2. Sift powdered sugar into a small bowl, and add to mixer slowly.

3. Set aside about 1 cup for pink flowers.

Pink Frosting
1. Take the one cup of frosting you set aside, and add 3 drops of red food coloring. (more or less depending on the desired depth of color)



 Place on a pretty platter and serve!

 




2 comments:

  1. yum! I wish I could whipped together treats like this. looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can! It's so easy! Time consuming, but easy

    ReplyDelete