Sunday, May 9, 2010

Under the Charleston Sun- the Tuscan Way

Today has been a gorgeous day; the weather was perfect and I celebrated my most wonderful mother. I am truly blessed to have her as my mentor and friend. I love her dearly!

After lunch we spent some time together in the back yard, reading and sipping tea in the backyard. It was hot but there was a slight breeze that shook off the heat right when you needed it.
As I lay on the grass, I picked up my book, "Under the Tuscan Sun". Not to be confused with the Diane Keaton movie this book, written by Frances Mays, is a personal account of one woman's journey (with her husband) to find a home in Tuscany. I read it partly in adventure and partly in jealousy of being able to pick up and move to Tuscany, in a 500 yr. old house on the hillside. Her descriptive language and mental illustrations make the scene come alive as you endure the process of renovating an old castle-like fortress and seeing the sights of Italy. Italian words are thrown in on every page to give you a taste of the language, and just all in all interesting. I suggest you read it.

By the time I decided it was too hot and it was about time to prepare dinner, I was entirely inspired to create a "Tuscan" style dinner. So for my mom (and dad) for mother's day, I set out to use our fresh veggies and meat to create a meal. I ended up with small stuffed bell peppers over risotto, salad, and baked squash.

Tuscan Inspired Stuffed Bell Peppers

1. slice bell peppers in half, and ream out the seeds and pith.
 2. Boil 2 cups of water on the stove, and add 1 cup of risotto into the pot. Cook on medium heat about 7-9 minutes, or until cooked and fluffy.
3. Meanwhile, brown 1 lb of ground beef
and dice 2 fresh tomatoes

4. Drain meat, and place by spoonfuls into the hollow half peppers. Follow with a spoonful of diced tomatoes.
Add a few tablespoons of Ricotta cheese, and sprinkle with fresh basil, and end with diced prosciutto and Parmesan cheese. (this picture has the five stages of filling)
After sprinkling on the cheese, place in the oven to bake. I used the broiler, but this kept the bell peppers       al dente. To make them soft (suggested), cook on 350 for about 30 minutes (just watch it!)
Serve over risotto, or put risotto in the actual peppers.


I also prepared a fresh greens salad with Gorgonzola cheese, walnuts, sliced apples, and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette

Parmesan crusted squash. For the squash I sliced the squash horizontally in thin slices, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil. Bake under broiler until golden brown (about 3-5 minutes)

So much fun to be inspired from a book! Makes the reading that much more worthy of my time, even if it is pleasure reading :) My mantra for this meal comes from page 74 of the book:
"Pear cobbler, pear chutney, pear ice, green igs, fig fritters, and nocciolo tart. May summer last a hundred years"


Thanks to you Mommy for teaching me to cook and blessing me more than I deserve! I love you!

3 comments:

  1. Holy Kamoly Sarah, those petit fours look soooo delish...when you start experimenting with some vegan desserts you are welcome to bring them to class...nudge nudge wink wink...haha..very cool blog. Glad you had fun with your Mom yesterday, sounds a lot like my day! Peace, Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandy! Yes I would like to try some Vegan dessert recipes and prefer them, but I mostly make these regular for my family and friends.

    I will do so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won an item from my giveaway! Click here to find out what, and how to receive it: http://manyrandommusings.blogspot.com/2010/05/final-winners.html

    Thanks!
    --Hannah

    ReplyDelete