Saturday, May 1, 2010

Simple & Delicious

As much as I love to cook, I am tired of it for today! I made desserts last night for my graphic design class today. After sleeping only from 5am to 8:30 am, I woke up and headed to the store to finish the rest of the desserts this morning (see below, I made 6 dozen of those!)

The batch I made last night turned out great, but unfortunately, I had quite a time working on this morning's batch. My chocolate just wouldn't melt! It hardened up into a clump. So lesson learned, when melting dark chocolate morsels, purchase Hershey's and not Ghiradelli (Hershey's is cheaper too!)

Sometimes I see recipes that I mostly like, but have something I would like to change about it. Call me a rebel, but I like to take simple recipes and change them around to make my own! So I did with the common recipe for cake balls. I decided that squares are a little more sophisticated and as I am not a huge fan of Red Velvet (which is the main cake ball flavor) I decided to revamp the recipe. The great thing is that you can use any flavor cake you like and experiment with mix-ins! And with squares you can decorate the tops like
petit fours. I decided to make mine German Chocolate with the coconut/nutty icing.

German Chocolate Cake Squares

Ingredients:
1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix ( I used Duncan Hines)
(eggs and oil, as according to the box)
1 can of the coconut walnut icing (I dont remember the name, but it's Betty Crocker)
1 bag of Hershey's dark chocolate morsels
shredded coconut (optional)

As you can see, there are few ingredients for this recipe!

1. Mix cake and bake as according to the box.
2. Let the cake cool, and crumble into a large bowl with your hands (Yes I washed mine well!)
3. Using a spoon, scoop the icing into the bowl with the crumbled cake
Using your hands mix the cake and icing thoroughly until mushy.

4. Mold into squares, about an 1 inch X 1 inch, and place on a lined cookie sheet
5. Refrigerate for about an hour or two.

6. While the squares are chilling, heat the morsels on medium heat in a double boiler. (if you don't have a double boiler, you can place them in a bowl over a pot of boiling water.
7. Once the morsels have melted, you must act quickly. Using a fork, dip each square into the chocolate, coating thoroughly and letting the excess drizzle off. Place onto another line cookie sheet.

8. Let cool (in the fridge if its a hot day, or they will melt!)
9.  I made some with cocount on top and some without, decorate how you wish and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment