Monday, March 29, 2010

Changing my style

So I have been thinking for months now about how I need to get serious and eat healthy. Mind you, though I have "eaten healthy" off and on for a long time now. And sometimes I do really well! Only to find myself eating half a dozen cookies and brownies and sticking my head in a bowl of icing a week later.
So I figured the only way to change my habits is to change my style- life style.

Thus, over spring break I picked up some books on yoga poses and mediterranean cookbooks.
I still have yet to try all of the yoga poses (though I do take a class at my gym, so Im pretty familiar).
But I have read this Mediterranean lifestyle book and tried many of the recipes (ie: gelato and shortbread cookies). I have even become confident enough to create my own mediterranean dishes like my Greek pasta salad and roasted red pepper hummus.

I am really enjoying trying to eat this way. It is not just about eating however. It is also about how you spend your time; taking time to stop and think, not about work or school, but family, friends, etc.
I have found myself spending more time with my friends and valuing my time with my family.
What a wonderful way to start spring!

So while I am making these dishes, ranging from Greek to Italian, I am listening to soft jazz, reading books about picking up and moving to Italy, and stretching into pose, and most importantly, valuing life for what it is.

If you've always wondered about the "Mediterranean Diet" (lifestyle), I can tell you more about it! I would love to share this experience with you; the more the merrier and lighter the load!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! I would love to know more about this Mediterranean Diet! It sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful!! W should have a chat sometime. The basic fundamentals are eating slowly, enjoying every bite, and eating mostly vegetables for your meal with 4oz or less of meat (it should be a sideshow, not the main attraction) and fruit for dessert instead of sugary sweets. Basically eating nothing packaged or "fake", but rather raw fruits and vegetables, nuts and grains :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please! I love the idea of the Mediterranean diet cuz its not a "diet" ya know? More of a lifestyle alteration and thats really what we all need. Not another diet to flop on. :0)

    I'd love for you to share some of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exactly what it is! A lifestyle- though called the Mediterranean Diet, what makes it so beneficial to follow is that you can infiltrate it into every aspect of life.

    Thanks for the interest ladies, I will definately start posting more Mediterranean for y'all!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete