Monday, March 22, 2010

Health Care; part one

I don't even know where to begin. That is a problem. I have been in and out with the news lately, going through days where I am politically active and raving about Glenn Beck and his views; then the next day I am designing and baking, and other artsy stuff. I am afraid it is a scale I have yet to balance in my mind between my duties as a citizen and my whims of being a young person. But this blog is not about me. This blog is about how I, and every other American, have forsaken our duties of waking up the drones of Congress and telling them what we really want.

 I suppose I will start off by saying that, while I don't know everything covered in this healthcare reform bill (but neither does Congress), I do know that it is a large step to socialized medecine.

I began to write this last night,  but as I finish today, I am changing my path. I was going to review the President's speech on this devastating legislation, but I have decided to instead make you familiar with the issue at hand. My purpose is not to give you a biased opinion, or to completely bash the Democrats ( though it might do that to itself naturally) because I want to present the truth and let you decide for yourself.
This is not the time to get involved in spewing partisan opinions (party vs party), but for citizens to wake up and look opposition in the face.

All that said, let's start with President Obama's view of the legislation (bill):

"The proposal will make health care more affordable, make health insurers more accountable, expand health coverage to all Americans, and make the health system sustainable, stabilizing family budgets, the Federal budget, and the economy"

Okay, so President Obama thinks it's a cure all for our healthcare woes. He is presenting the typical "change overnight" vision that the charismatic, well-liked and voted for politicians hang all over. This sounds good, but is it really?

The Health Care Reform Bill as presented by the President and his affiliates provides that:
  • It makes insurance more affordable by providing the largest middle class tax cut for health care in history, reducing premium costs for tens of millions of families and small business owners who are priced out of coverage today.  This helps over 31 million Americans afford health care who do not get it today – and makes coverage more affordable for many more. 
  • It sets up a new competitive health insurance market giving tens of millions of Americans the exact same insurance choices that members of Congress will have.  
  • It brings greater accountability to health care by laying out commonsense rules of the road to keep premiums down and prevent insurance industry abuses and denial of care.  
  • It will end discrimination against Americans with pre-existing conditions.
  • It puts our budget and economy on a more stable path by reducing the deficit by $100 billion over the next ten years – and about $1 trillion over the second decade – by cutting government overspending and reining in waste, fraud and abuse. 

But can we really expect all of this to be provided? Here is my biggest beef with this whole issue, put simply:

Government is mandating (making law) the purchase of insurance. State governments are , by law, required to provide insurance for every citizen. Constitutionally, this is a violation of freedom. Yes, they are saying we are now "free" to have health care, free for every American to have health insurance, but nothing with the growing government is free. You have heard the saying, "freedom isn't free", and it's true. Anytime the government hands you something, there are strings attached. I won't even try to sugarcoat it. If they are giving you something as monumental and vital as healthcare, you can be assured that you are not free to do whatever you want with it; be assured of that. You will now be obligated to go to the physicians they choose.
I have a feeling (this is personal opinion) that healthcare will beome districted. Just like going to a public school within your district is mandatory for education, so going to a physician in your district will be mandatory.

I hate to be cynical, but sometimes practicality is cynical, because it's the truth. There will be fine print. If there isn't now, there will be. If it sounds too good to be true, you can be darn right it is. Do you really think that everyone will just go about life, getting free healthcare, worry-free and painless? Won't there be lines, and forms, and regulations? There always have to be regulations. They may not be the same regulations that keep many from procuring health insurance now, but they will be different forms.

Hypothetically, suppose you are richer than many Americans, and you and a person with less income than you are "in line" to be treated for an illness, who do you think they will take first? You both "pay" the same amount, so what determines the order? Well, as people are complaining now that the rich are being seen more than those who cant afford to pay (which by law of human nature and greed is true) it will now be turned around. That is not the problem. The problem will lie to when it comes to what your illness is. Will someone who needs a minor surgery like tonsils being taken out be put before someone who needs a heart transplant? You wouldn't think so, but now that everyone is equal, healthcare is at a first come first serve basis. If you're in line first, you get the aid. Who cares that you're bleeding inside and dying on the steps of the hospital (pardon my dramatics), if you're behind the person with the sore throat you will just have to wait your turn.

Now you may be thinking, where in the world am I getting this absurd analogy from. I will tell you where: Countries that are warning us silently that their health system is killing them. You may have heard much about Canada's health system; I don't care what Congress denies, I tell you it is true. I have personally talked to someone from Canada who says that there are people, in dire need of vital surgery, waiting at home to get a call from the hospital saying they an come in for treatment. Why? Because they are on a waiting list. Anytime you provide health care for a whole nation (think millions of people) there will be a line. This is going to be like Dinsey World waiting lines  in mid July - on steroids.

I have more to say about this but I will give your eyes and mine a break for awhile. Please just sit for a moment and think about this. This is not a leisure reading or tv sitcom, this is to be taken seriously! This is happening to you! In the meantime, please watch this video.
    Just click on the blue letters, it will link you to a news coverage vid on Rep. of Ohio Jim Boehner's response:

    2 comments:

    1. Sarah,
      I just found your blog today and I must say that you hit the nail on the head with this post. What's unfortunate is that most people our age don't see beyond the B.S. to what's really happening. I am forwarding your link around I hope you don't mind.

      followme@:
      www.domesticated-bliss.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you! No, of course I do not mind; in fact, I am trying to get my name out there, so please do! I am glad you are interested

      Sarah

      ReplyDelete